So sorry for the lack of posting lately. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes! But I promise to make it up with this post! If your like pina coladas…buh bum…and dancin’ in the rain…I mean… and eating cupcakes duh dum… This will blow your mind! I came up with this recipe when my four year old daughter had a friend over who loves cooking…and is allergic to milk. I wanted to make a fun summer-like dessert that any kid would enjoy (what four year old doesn’t love a cupcake?) and would also incorporate food storage. The coolest thing about it is that I used the Spiff-E-Whip for the frosting (think cool whip in powdered form) which is pretty much lactose free (just contains whey). You may remember a few months ago during “Let them eat cake month” where I showed how you can make your own cakes and cake mixes from scratch (download free handout HERE) and this is just another great from scratch cake to add to your arsenal. Super yummy, ultra impressive looking, and all from my pantry…just how I like it!
FOOD STORAGE PINA COLADA CUPCAKES
- 2¼ C. white flour
- 1⅔ C. sugar
- ⅔ C. shortening (or white bean puree)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3½ t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. coconut extract (or vanilla if it's all you've got)
- 5 egg whites (or 2 T. dry egg white powder + ⅓ c. pineapple juice reserved from crushed pineapple)
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat all ingredients except egg whites together in large bowl for about 30 seconds. Beat on high speed 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes. Pour into prepared cupcake pans (be prepared, this makes a FULL 24 cupcakes)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Top with Cool Whip or prepared Spiff-E-Whip, pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry.
HURRY! HUGE SUN OVEN SALE!
Don’t forget about the HUGE Global Sun Oven sale which ends soon! If you don’t have one-this is the time to get it along with all of the accessories for FREE! Get more information HERE.
© 2012, Crystal. All rights reserved.